This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Friday Frustrations and Saturday Sensations

Yesterday was just plain annoying. I woke up in the morning thinking I would catch up on work before breakfast so I could be caught up and ready to work out at the gym at lunch. My arms were still sore, but I was looking forward to getting on the elliptical.

I made sure my bag was packed. I packed my snacks and fruit for the day. I ate my breakfast. All was right with the world. Coffe was hot, but not too hot. Drank my big glass of ice water on the way to work. Arrived at work ready to go. First patient doesn't show. Ok, time to catchup. Second patient is late. Great. No show turns into a late show. Then another patient brings her daughter with her and wonders if maybe I could squeeze her in too. Sure. No problem.

Then one of my very favorite patients tells me her sister got killed a few days ago in a car accident. Some idiot driving in the heavy rain down pour we had the other day hydroplaned and went airborne, crossed the median and struck her car where she and her husband had pulled over to be safe. She died instantly. Poor woman was distraught as her sister was her best friend. This lady is the nicest lady. She always brings my staff a baked good from home. She's German and every time she goes home she brings my kids back big bags of Gumme Baren (Gummy Bears) and other treats. She never leaves my office without asking how I am, how my kids are. She always has a smile on her face, even now that she's dealing with her husband's cancer. But this time she was crying and so sad and I didn't know how to comfort her, so I just sat and listened for a long time while she told me all about her sister's service and grandkids and such.

Some asshole down the hall gets pissed because I'm running late and starts yelling and then uses foul language w/ my staff. And I have to go down the hall and calm him down. There are 2 ways to handle this. Be confrontational and tell him I am sorry for being late, but I do not tolerate that kind of behavior in my office and ask him to leave. The alternative is much better. I just calmly sat down and told him I was so very sorry for running late and then made him feel like a complete ass by telling him why I was late. He ended up apologizing to me and my entire staff.

So I get done late and yet I was determined to go to the gym. Well, actually I almost talked myself out of it. But, I didn't. Got in the car and set off to make the 5 minute drive. It was hot. What else is new. Turned left onto the highway and DAMN IT! Construction BS. Shut down to 1 lane and took me 20 frickin' minutes to the turn. By the time I get in the gym, change clothes, get upstairs I'd have about 15 minutes before I had to leave to get in the shower to go back to work. That's a no go. So instead of the gym I went to the yogurt place. It was supposed to be my reward for working out.

The deal was if I ate the yogurt I would work out after work. So the afternoon turned into hell, didn't get done until later than I had planned. Got call from the Nanny, youngest has a fever. Frack. She got 5 shots day before for her preschool. No go AGAIN with the gym. And when I get home, little miss wants me to hold her so no getting to work out. Not even a swim. Whatever. There are more important things.

Husband wants Chinese. Otherwise known as The Sodium King of Food. I did well and ordered plain stir fry chicken and veggies, no sauce. Well done. Then got a craving for chocolate, ate low fat frozen yogurt which put me just under my budget by 7 calories. Hey, but it's under.

Woke up this am and was off to the park to do my weekend 5K by 8:15am. I was excited after how well I did on Wednesday and planned to try to run the whole time. It was already 86 degrees. But, a nice breeze. Did the C25K Week 7 Day 2. Did 3.6 miles, 3 laps on the trail. It was hard this time. Damned hard. There was no way I was running the whole 5K. I sure am glad I didn't work out yesterday. Otherwise I would have never been able to do even that 25 minute run. I think I didn't drink enough water yesterday and it bit me in the ass. Literally. No I mean like my ass hurt so bad and my legs were so tight.

You runners out there can explain to me why sometimes I run and it's like I'm on fire (well at my size, maybe more like really hot soup). Others my legs are tight and I feel like I'm running in quick sand. I had to tell myself to keep going. I had to force one leg in front of the other. On the bright side, there was this really nice man on the trail who told me I was doing great and to keep going every time he lapped me. I've seen him there before. He's an older guy, probably late 50s or early 60s and looks like he's been running a long time.

So I get home and I'm starved. Whip up some egg white omelets for me and the husband. That and light wheat toast with the sweet potato butter I got last week at the Farmer's Market. It was yummy and only 20 calories per tablespoon. Then husband and I spent the morning doing the very important job of cleaning off the TIVO. Caught up on True Blood, Rescue Me and Entourage.

Then we decided we didn't want to do anything today. Husband worked late every night last week and then did more work after dinner. He's been so busy and we both needed a lazy day. So we took one. After TIVO, we watched a couple of movies-Transporter 3 and Inglorious Basterds. Nothing makes me happier than a movie with fast cars and bad guys getting their butts kicked by Jason Statham. The other movie was slow and long and very disappointing for the most part, especially for Quentin Tarantino. The story is not too bad and the acting decent, just too long.

Tonight we went for a swim and it was nice, but hot. Tomorrow I'll have to make up for our lazy day with housework and yard work and final preparations before school which starts on Monday.

But, for now, I'm happy with my lazy, hazy summer day. Son's at a last fling party at a friend's. I feel very non-productive except that I ran/walked 5 K today. And I learned that my resting heart rate is now 60-65. Smile. My heart likes all this exercise.

How was your Saturday? How do you push through when you hit THE WALL during exercise?


  1. That's great about your resting heart rate. Keep up the good work.

    I ride a specific bike trail route and sure, sometimes I want to stop or slow down. My motivation is silly, but it seems to work. I keep track of my personal record time, and I brag to my seven year old if I break it. So even if I'm tired, I try desperately to set a new PR!

  2. Doc, I keep up with your blog, and I wouldn't beat myself up over the gym session you missed. You kick butt all the time and if you are sore, it may not be the worst idea. I thought you should know, I have to have to have to read your blog everyday. It helps me stay right. I see your progress and your determination and it keeps me from going , ehhh maybe a slow day today.

  3. You certainly deserved a "lazy" day after all the hard work you've been doing - in and out of the office. I hope your little one is feeling better and that this week is easier for you!

  4. Awesome job on the RHR! I watch mine go down and grin with every number it gets lower. Since my scale has become more stingy with the pounds it gives up, I'm trying to focus more on my fitness level to stay on track and make sure there's still progress of some sort out there.

    My Saturday was terrifyingly productive, and I even managed to scrape myself onto the elliptical for 20 minutes followed by 40 minutes at 5-6% incline on the treadmill. Then we had burgers for dinner (93% lean beef); the boys had tater tots and broccoli, and I had broccoli with 4 tater tots. It was just enough :)

    Sounds like you did a great job in spite of those life circumstances that kept trying to bite you. I've had days similar to that... there's a reason my colorist sees me as often as she does. Heh.

    I hope your littlest one feels better soon!

  5. I don't run but wonder the same thing about biking. Some days my legs just feel flat, for lack of a better word. But I ride with my husband so I keep going. But some days the pace is sure a lot slower than others!

    Just have to share my captcha today: makelite!

  6. I like how you phrased it - "cleaning off the TIVO" - I'll have to remember that one!

    My runs are different every time. Friday morning I felt like a gazelle. Today? A bit of a moose. Who knows...I keep blaming it on the heat and humidity, lol. The important thing is that at least we are getting out there and doing our best. Which is way more than we used to, right? One of these weekends I'll be up in your neck of the woods (visiting my kids at UNT) and we'll have to meet up for a run.

  7. I love when other runners are encouraging! It makes me feel so great and it makes me want to find someone just starting out and give them all sorts of praise!
    You really are kicking butt, missed work out happens because life happens. The important thing is you keep on doing it!

  8. When I hit the wall? I try every tactic known to mankind to zone out and try to forget about the passing of time. Typically that involves staring out the gym window or daydreaming in my head. See, I had a lot of practice when I was younger; my mom would sit me down to have "I have a bone to pick with you" talks that would often last 10, 12, 14, even 16 hours. Ample time to learn to zone out, stare at the wall, transport yourself to another time and place. So when the gym gets tough, I try to send myself off to that safe zoned-out place. I can't explain how to do it...either you can or can't.

  9. Congrats on the run participation! And, despite the stress of work and family obligations, you are doing a terrific job keeping up with your exercising! A missed day here and there is just life. No one is perfect, which is why consistency is important, and you are fairly consistent. Good job!!

  10. For me, I just lift my leg and get on the bike. I do not always want to. Plus, I can think of a million reasons not to, but just getting on is half the battle. Once I am on, I am good to go. On Sunday I think I finally felt that "rush" that you get when you are pushing yourself. That feeling is new to me and for now I know it will help me to get on again and again. Michele


Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!