Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wednesday Wonders

So last week I did a post on things I wonder about. I've decided to keep it as a regular because frankly, I think about some weird and funny and strange stuff and I like rehashing it here. Plus, you all responded with so much cool wonders of your own that I've decided I like knowing that I'm not the only one who wonders about weird shit.  So here we go for today:

I wonder:

  • Why the "employee of the month" at the pre-school/day care is driving a Lexus? Seriously.  This makes me wonder if that's why our tuition is so high. I mean it's a nice place and all, but wow. It amazes my how much child care costs.

  • Why my 13 year old son feels it is necessary to point out everything his younger sisters do wrong? Really? You're like twice their age and we still need to tattle. And then it starts the, "no I didn't." "Did too!" Crap and then it usually ends with me breaking up an oncoming fight which can be bad considering all 3 of them are in TKD. See why I had to start?  Am I the only one whose kids do this?  I have no frame of reference since I'm an only child.

  • Why my children are suddenly so interested in what I'm doing the minute I start to do something I enjoy?  They seem to completely ignore me when I'm cleaning, doing dishes, cooking even. But, the minute I sit down to read, watch my show or even practice TKD, they are all over me like flies to honey. It's annoying. Or when I want to give them attention, they are too grumpy, too whiny, too busy, too silly, too...whatever. Sigh. All I know is I am trying to remind myself that there's a time coming when they won't care what I'm doing either way and take what I can get.

  • Why grown women still gossip like they are in high school? I loved high school. I had a lot of friends. I was in drama and lots of clubs. I never had a boyfriend, but overall high school was awesome for me. I have absolutely no desire to return there. My BFF and I were never ones to gossip that much and now at  over 40 (still makes me a little nauseated to type that BTW) I see absolutely no point. I just don't get it. I do not care if "she looked at me funny". If "she took my paperclips".  If "she said my kids were spoiled." If "she likes her better than me". If "she walked down the hall and didn't say hi to me". I'm too busy. I have things to do. I don't get the need to spend my time and energy on non-productive things like gossip. I really don't care if you like me or not. I really don't.  What you see is what you get with me. I don't pretend. I don't put on faces and say one thing, do another. I don't get people that do. I have an entire office full of women and well.....sometimes I wonder if testosterone wouldn't be a good thing. There are just so many more important things in the world to talk about and experience than that kind of petty stuff. Sigh.

  • Why there are people on facebook that feel the need to rehash their entire divorce in public? I get that facebook is about sharing what's up with you, but smearing your soon to be ex, no matter how much an a-hole doesn't make sense to me. It also doesn't make sense that his lawyer could be seeing all the details you are posting. It makes me squirm with discomfort.

  • Why some people on facebook only post happy happy happy things? OK. Look. I'm an addict. I admit it. I love facebook. It's helped me get reconnected and stay connected with a lot of people I really like, but wouldn't otherwise get to "talk to". However I really get get tired of the overly too happy posts. Maybe I'm just a pessimist or maybe I'm a realist. No body is THAT happy all the damn time. It's again with the whole being myself thing. I don't pretend. I find it hard to believe someone's life is consistently that awesome all the time. And while we're on the subject, I wonder why I'm "friends" with you if all you ever post is something about your business or that you want to sell. I don't mind my friends posting that stuff if it isn't the ONLY stuff they post.
  •  Why people are surprised? Several times lately I've had patients who have come into my office after a long long time of going to the doctor. They have a "scary symptom" and when I tell them it could be something scary or they are diagnosed with something scary, they are shocked. Denial is a powerful thing, I guess. I always feel sorry for those people. They are usually the ones that say "if I have something, I don't want to know about it". And when they do find out, they are so very sorry they didn't come in sooner. Please don't be those people. See a doctor regularly. Speaking of. I need to schedule my mammogram.....

Well, that's if for my wonderings today. Let me know what you've been wondering about lately.  Do you wonder about random things? I do. Today I have on tap TKD, at least one class, maybe 2 and healthy plan eating. I wonder how it will turn out........more later.

4 comments:

  1. My Wednesday Wonder:

    Why does my 2 year old stay dry all day and use the potty when she has a diaper on but the minute I put undies on her all bets are off????

    Why? Why? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why my in-laws are still in our house then I wonder why it bothers me so much... Oh, I know - my MIL is bat-sh!t crazy - a burned out schizoaffective with borderline personality disorder and narcissism. How delightful. It's amazing that she has lived to be 84. I spend most of my days hiding in my study or outside. It's a wonder my fantastic spouse is so sane.

    Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to send me a bill for supportive counseling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wonder posts. Re why your kids are all over you when you're doing something you enjoy. I think it's because people naturally want to see someone they know & love enjoying herself. They want you to be happy and they want to know your "secret" for being happy. I suggest that if your reading (a wonderful example, BTW) you get them interested in reading those great books they picked up at your last library visit. Or if you're practicing TKD, maybe they can practice their own TKD skills (not necessarily together with you, but maybe with each other). Etc. It's a compliment when they want to be with you or to be like you. TUrn it to having them mimic your positive activity (maybe a special show they can watch on the other TV when you're going to relax in front of your favorite. This is just what I wish I had done when my own were little!

    And why aren't we FB friends?? I love FB and sometimes post non-happy things, but never about divorce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprise: I was very proud when my breast surgeon said to me "You are very compliant and go for every test you're supposed to do.." (and that is saying a lot since I am high risk for breast CA and have annual mammos, MRI's per practice standard and sonos every 6 months. Bleh.)

    I wish I could bury my head in the sand, but lately, and thanks to my doc as well, I've gotten to thinking: I'm LUCKY to have this kind of surveillance-- if something comes up, I'll catch it early.
    Yeah: but it is scary and hard sometimes too.

    Nice to see you are such a thoughtful physician... obvious that you care and think a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!