Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

I measured and God Bless 'Em

Where to start? Let's see. Kid's still sick. Still having fever and now my over educated and worried Mommy brain is kicking in. I really wish sometimes that I didn't know about scary things like endocarditis and meningitis and sinus abscesses and appendicitis and Kawasaki syndrome.  So today I'm having my NP take an objective look at her and see what she thinks. Another night with no sleep and my brain may literally explode.

Yesterday didn't end as I planned and I'm tiring of writing that.  Wondering why I plan at all. Wah wah wah. That's my life. So I went at lunch to pick up kiddo and had to go by Wal-mart to pick up sprite and jello for my kid. That little side trip meant no walking yesterday. I did spent a little time working on TKD, but I don't count those times as "working out".

I was starving by the time I got home last night. I'd had tuna w/ a green salad at lunch and no snacks. I was home in time to eat a decent dinner and I actually got to cook a little. Tilapia, broccoli and oven roasted potatoes with a salad. It was yummy. I splurged and made salad dressing with some flavored oil and vinegar I'd bought at the farmer's market a while back. Sure beats the heck out of the low fat/no fat stuff I've been eating. I usually don't want the extra fat or calories, but I'd only had a little over 500cal before dinner last night.

I am addicted to weighing. I swear we need a 12 step program or something. So my weight was up a little this am and I am still irritated. BUT, I did measure and I've lost another 5.5 inches since Christmas. That's a total of 44.5 inches lost since last June. I guess I'm averaging 5 inches lost each month. That's good steady loss. I'll take it.  I have not worked out as much the last week or so with the sick kid.  And then I looked back to when weight loss was faster and more steady. I realize I did better with weight loss when I had morning cardio going everyday. So although it means getting up earlier, like 5 or just before, I'm determined to get that going again.

I used to do morning cardio AND my trips to the gym and since TKD I've been more sore and not doing as much additional cardio. Don't get me wrong I'm still doing 5-6 days a week of exercise.  I think I'm building muscle, well I know I am and that's great because muscle will help me burn more calories. BUT, I still want the scale to move and that means sacrifice. SO earlier bed times and more early workouts are in my future.

Today though I'm focused on my kid and making sure she is OK. We'll be running some tests and hopefully all will be normal.   I will probably not be going to TKD today as we have to get an ultrasound done.  Honestly I don't know how parents of kids with serious illnesses do it. God bless them. It's so hard when your kids are sick. SO hard.  Today I say a prayer of thanks that my kids have been healthy and please let it stay that way. And a prayer for all those parents who've experience serious illness with their kids.

4 comments:

  1. It's got to be hard when you are a doctor and your child is sick - glad you are getting another unbiased opinion and hope she feels better.

    Yep, I do my best when I eat well AND exercise. Some weeks I eat well and don't exercise, other times I exercise and eat like shit - that's how I keep maintaining, but at my last endocronologist appointment, he was like "Biz, you are such a controlled diabetic, when can we start controlling your weight?!" Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of you and your child today, doc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, cardio is the weight-loss winner. Walking is cardio, right? ;)

    Hope all turns out well with the tests for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. F., all my best to your daughter. That's the most important thing in the world - the health of children. (Football's #2)

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!