Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekend Wrap up and TAG You're It!

Hello all!  I had a great weekend.  Nothing special, but a lot of cleaning and organizing at home. Where DOES all that crap come from???  It's like it multiplies once it gets in my house!  Junk mail, magazines, newspapers, kids toys.........it just never ends.

I ate well over the weekend!  I'm very proud of myself because I've not done well lately. But not this time. I controlled my eating. I had 1600 cal on Saturday and that's more than I usually eat, but it was all good stuff. Yesterday I had 1153, again all good stuff. I weighed in yesterday at 201.6. This morning 202.6. I think it is because I ate a little later than usual last night. Anyway, either way it's a loss and I'll take it. I'm counting the higher of the weights since technically that's what I weighed today. So 1 lb for this week.

I'm getting closer to where I was before my cruise and the evil that is the holidays. I exercised every day last week, some days twice.  I didn't "exercise" this weekend, but I did spend 6 hours Saturday and 5 hours Saturday cleaning house, including moving furniture, so I'm counting that as my workouts.

 Today I didn't work out in the morning because I had a session with my trainer at noon. I just plain cannot workout in the morning and then with him. TOO hard. I did 1mile on the elliptical to warm up. Then he had me do some major core and leg work.  I did deadlifts 75lbs, leg presses 225lb, Calf presses same weight.  I did 50 situps with a resistance band, 50 reverse crunches and a whole bunch of other stuff that had my legs burning and wobbly afterward. I burned 550 calories.

I'm back to using my fitbit and now I remember why I love it so much. I did upgrade to the ultra. I don't think it is much difference, but I killed my other one with too many washes in the machine.  So far today I've logged 8440 steps! I'm so happy that they completed the integration with LoseIt because NOW it sinks my activity AND my food between the two. SO happy. So basically I log my exercise and activity in Fitbit and my food in LoseIt. (I just like their tracker better and I've been using it nearly 2 years now)

About a week ago Michele at Ruminations  tagged me in a post full of questions that have been circulating. Thanks Michele and I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond. As part of the tag I'm supposed to do a few things. Here are the rules:

1. Post these rules. (done)
2. You must post 11 random things yourself. 
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post. 
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer. 
5. Go to their blog and tell them that you've tagged them. 
6. No stuff in the tagging section about "you are tagged if you are reading this." You legitimately have to tag 11 peeps! 

So here we go.................

11 Random things about me:

1. I am an only child. This makes it particularly strange to see some of the "typical" sibling behavior my 3       kids exhibit.
2. I'm a sports addict. I listen to sports radio all day. I watch ESPN morning and night. I love football, basketball and am learning to love baseball. I also like hockey, but don't follow it much. 
3.  I love to read. I don't always get time, but I always have at least one book. Now with my ipad it's easier. I can whip it out waiting in line or other things and just read, read, read.
4.  I was raised by a single mom. I'm the first in my family to be a doctor.
5. I love, love, love the movie Finding Nemo.  I know all the dialog and I'm constantly quoting from it. This summer while traveling in South Dakota, we stayed in a small town. That night there were very few choices on the TV.  We found Nemo on a Spanish channel. My son and I were laughing so hard because we translated the whole thing and I do not speak Spanish! I just think there is so much in the movie that applies to my life. Just keep Swimming.
6.  I hate, hate, hate snakes. Icky poo!
7.  I've always wanted to fly in a hot air balloon. I've been up one when I was about 10, but we were tethered so we just went up a bit and back down. 
8.  I love ghost stories and scary stuff. I've been on ghost tours in many cities. My favorite was the Jack the Ripper tour in London at night through the neighborhoods where the actual murders took place. It was sooooo awesome. Not everyone believes in ghosts, but I do. I've seen them. One night when I was on call as a resident, I was on my way to the call room to catch a couple hours of sleep. The call room was in a older part of the hospital that wasn't used anymore. The call room was an old patient room. That night, a patient with an IV pole passed me in the hall way. He was an older man and wearing a hospital gown. It occurred to me that he shouldn't be in this area of the hospital. I turned around to ask him if he needed help and he was gone. Yep. I'm a believer.
9.  My favorite city in the US I've  visited is New Orleans. Probably because of #8. But also I love jazz and blues music. There's something about "Nawlins I just love.  I've been there many times. The people, the food, the music, the history.....I just love it. But.........I don't think I'd want to live there. Then it wouldn't be as special anymore.
10.  I have a Nanny that's worked for us for going on 10 years. She is Italian and she is wonderful. She's a part of our family now. She doesn't live with us, but she helps so much with the house and cooking and kids. I couldn't do without her. We found her through an agency. She was the first and only one we interviewed. 
11.  I originally planned to be a psychiatrist.  I wanted to do Pediatric Psychiatry. I even took extra rotations in it in medical school. BUT, I decided it wasn't for me because the kids would come in the hospital, get better and we'd send them right back into the dysfunctional environment they came from. It turned out to be kind of depressing. Family Medicine is much better for me. I have a bit of ADD. Something new and different with each patient is much more interesting.

And now on to Michele's questions..........
1.  Did you play a musical instrument in school? Which one? Do you still play?  Yes I played an instrument-the piano and my voice. I was in choir in school. I used to be the pianist at church when I was younger. I still sing and I still play the piano.

     2.Do you collect things? What? Not really.
3.    What was the last sporting event that you attended? OU football game in November.
4.    Have you ever seen brilliant night sky stars? Where were you? Oh yes. We used to go camping a lot when I was a kid. So many stars when you get outside the city. In Colorado 2 years ago, the kids and I sat outside and looked at the stars.......lovely.
5.    What would a perfect day be for you? Any day I get to relax and enjoy my family is a great day.
6.    What is one of your latest book reads? What kept you reading it? Just read the first in a series about a fallen angel called Hush, Hush.  I really enjoyed the characters and the mysetery.
7.    What kind of pen do you use? Whichever one is closest.
8.    Apple or PC? PC, but I also have an ipad.
9.    What magazines or weeklys do you read or subscribe to?  I'm sure it won't surprise you to learn that I subscribe to Sports Illustrated and Sooners Illustrated. I also get Better Homes and Gardens and Southern Living. Plus Texas Monthly, National Geographic and Entertainment Weekly. We also get Consumer Reports, Popular Science, Scientific American, and I'm sure there are a few more. Geez that's a lot. I didn't realize how many!
10.  What satisfies you about the work that you do?Helping people feel better. Being able to feel like I'm making a difference in people's lives.
11.  What do you hope for yourself in one year? I hope to be a brown belt. I hope to be healthier and weigh less. I hope to get my throat surgery. I hope to get Lasik. I hope to travel.
I hope I'm as happy then as I am now.

And now I have to come up with 11 questions. So here they are:
1. What was the last meal you ate out? Was it as good as you thought it would be?
2. What was the last movie you saw in a theater? Was it good?
3.  What radio station do you listen to most?
4.  Which would you want to be a Vampire or Werewolf? Why?
5.  What is one of your most vivid memories from grade school?
6.  What was your favorite vacation?
7.  Where would you go if money and time were no consideration?  Why?
8.  What is your one pet peeve?  The one thing that drives you nuts.
9.  Which is worse.....a complete physical exam(pap for women, rectal for men) OR a trip to the dentist? Why?
10.  Do you like summer or winter best? Why?
11.  What is one thing you wish people knew about you?

And NOW I'm supposed to tag 11 of my blog peeps. If you've already been tagged, I'm sorry.
1. My friend Jenn over at her new blog Real Housewife of Cleveland County.  It's not a weight loss blog per say, but she has recently lost 40 lbs and taken up running.
2. Allan of Almost Gastric Bypass
3.  Jan at Writing to Wellness
4.  Patrick at Responsibility 199
5.  Kyle at Getting Better and Better
6.  Alan at Pounds off Playoff
7. Tami at Nutmeg Notebook
8. Amanda at It's All About the Walls
9. Karen at Waisting Time
10. Tish at Incremental Improvements
11. Anne at Carb Tripper

Okey Dokey. That should be all for now. I did spend time watching football this weekend. I sure was hoping one of the underdogs would win. Oh well.....What did you do this weekend?

8 comments:

  1. I loved learning more about you Ann. I had no idea you had a musical side to you -- you are so talented! An only child -- I can't imagine what that would be like as I have 3 brothers.

    I think you are amazing -- I really do. You are a mother of three, a wife, a doctor, an athlete and a blogger just to mention a few of the things that take up your time. I honestly don't know how you do it all!

    I am so not good at these tagging things -- I usually don't participate but I will consider it and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tami. You're kind words made my day! I understand about the tagging....

      Delete
  2. I am guessing your nanny is like your right arm: what would you do without her? I am sure she offers great stability, too, for the kiddos. Worth her weight in gold at least.

    I adore Finding Nemo, too. So do all my grandbabies.

    Do you actually read all those magazines. That is a load of them!

    Thanks for playing tag and being a good sport about it. So glad you are getting back into your life style changes with gusto!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Michele. She is absolutely critical to my happiness! No I don't read them all, but a lot of them.

      Delete
  3. This looks like fun, and I might even be able to post on it tonight! My only problem (like Tami) is the tagging thing. I'm terrible at it, LOL.

    I hear you on the reading thing. My iPad has saved me so much space in the house too -- we were about out of wall space for bookshelves, and most of mine are double-shelved anyway, so it's great to have my "To Be Read" pile saved on a compact computer device :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love learning new things about you, though I admit it was no surprise to me that you're a sports fan! Your ghost encounter gave me the shivers. We only subscribe to Eating Well and Cooking Light, but I don't even find time to read those most of the time. I'm letting the subscriptions lapse. Saves money, saves shelf space, and saves guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading these "tag" posts and seeing what everyone comes up with to share. Thanks for tagging me. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I added it to my list. My first thought with New Orleans? Beignets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congradulations on the loss. Oh that workout sounds killer good job sticking through it all. I think Finding Nemo is one of the best movies ever made totaly agree there.

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!