Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Surgery-eve

Tomorrow is the big day. Getting my airway back. Yippee!  Not so pleased that I have to be at the hospital by 5:30 AM. There's a REASON I'm not a surgeon, people. My mom is coming to stay with the kids and help Nanny get all 3 off to school as neither one of them are experienced in that particular chore. I'm hoping I'll be home well before noon and snoozing in my bed in a drug-induced haze.

This morning I went and bought more soup, crackers and jello for my post-surgery sore throat. I have some light ice cream in the freezer already. I'm not tracking right now and I won't be until I can get through this surgery.  I have to admit even I get a bit nervous.  I wrote about it on my "real life" blog. If you are interested you can read it here.

Today has been a REAL challenge. Luckily my board (bored) meeting didn't last as long as I was afraid it would. I was home before 9pm and that's GREAT!  I really enjoyed all the comments yesterday. I haven't had time to reply yet. I keep forgetting I can do that. I felt better all day yesterday until the evening when my stomach started bothering me and I started getting tired. By the time I got home, I was tired but not sleepy. We watched Revenge, which BTW is a really good show, and then to bed. I couldn't sleep. So I watched Jon Stewart and Colbert. Then I finally dosed off. I slept terribly last night. Tossing and turning and coughing. Fitbit says I woke up 9 times in less than 6 hours.

By the time the alarm went off getting out of bed was almost a relief. Ever have those nights where you just feel like you were in battle all night? Well that was me. I was groggy, and coughing and grumpy. Coffee helped but not a lot. My morning was super busy and by the time lunch rolled around I was beat. I went home had some soup and laid down for  about 45min. Didn't sleep but felt better and I've managed to navigate the rest of the day. Now I'm off to pick up kids and the usual routine and I'm hoping early bedtime. My daughter went back to school today so at least that was a relief.

I wish I could think of something witty and inspiring to say, but it's just not in me today. So sorry.   Instead I'll just leave you with this. Whatever your goals, whatever your dreams you can have them. You just have to believe you can and then DO what you need to. Notice I said NEED  not what you WANT. Doing what you WANT to do rarely gets you anything significant because significant achievements take WORK. I don't know about you but I don't always WANT to do the work. I sure enjoy the rewards when I do though.

Have a good night!  I'll post when I can.

9 comments:

  1. Best of luck tomorrow. I bet you'll feel good to get there at 5:30 and know that it's going to feel better soon. I'm expecting to hear from the "go-getter" gal we know and love very soon! BTW What is up with the new word verification format. It takes me 3 or 4 tries to figure out what the letters are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck tomorrow, Ann - I know you will be so glad to have this over and done with, and be back to your old self...well, the old self who can BREATHE! :) :) :)

    I'll be thinking of you in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I'm glad you're about to get some relief. Time to be able to kick some TKD butt again!

    Let us know when you get out if you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck! Let the family wait on you hand and foot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you will sleep better tonight - so maybe last night's fitful sleep was a disguised blessing. You pooped yourself out! Soon you will be breathing easily and kicking some tae kwon do rump.

    I almost forgot - Your link does not work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope all goes well and recovery is fast! We watched a Revenge mini-marathon last night and have only one show left. I think the season might be over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it will all be great for you... and if you need someone to walk you around the block - or meet for java - I am now up north twice a week for my Chiro appointment!
    Enjoy the drug - induced haze!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope it all went well for you. Keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. How nice that your mom could come help with the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!