Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Monday, February 27, 2012

On my way again

Thanks to everyone for their words of support on my last post. It helped just getting those feelings out in the open and I've felt a bit better since. This weekend I've been trying to get back to "normal" and I'm starting to feel better. I have 4 more days on the blasted steroids and I'll be glad to be rid of them. Although there are side effects as you come off of them when you've been on them a while like I have. Still I am happy to be on my way back.

I will be returning to workouts this week and I think that will help immensely. I didn't do much this weekend. We had an event at TKD this weekend which I helped judge for the little kids. That was fun and the girls both got trophies. You'd think they'd won an Oscar they were so proud!  Saturday night we went to a friend's for dinner and it was great to just socialize and enjoy the evening. I made my sugar-free fruit pies so I had some yummy guilt-less dessert. Of course dinner was a yummy Stromboli so it was NOT guiltless. I did plan for the dinner though and ate only a protein bar and banana for lunch.

Yesterday I found myself extremely tired again. Likely another side effect on the downside of stopping the steroids. After breakfast, I went back to bed and slept until nearly 2pm!  I had planned a trip to Sam's because we're out of LOTS of things, but I just couldn't face the thought of that ordeal and the weekend crowd. Instead I sat around watching TV the rest of the day. I cooked dinner last night and then we all watched some Burn Notice on TiVo since we're still way behind. The kids played outside a lot yesterday and so the girls had to be hosed down before dinner. They were tickled to eat in their jammies and bathrobes.

Son started Track practice this morning so he had to be there by 7:15am. That means we're back to adjusting to early mornings again. That's OK though because I can get back in a routine of morning bike rides on my recumbent. I'm going to start that tomorrow morning. Back to TKD class tomorrow also. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it because I know I'll be so out of shape not having worked out in weeks. BUT, you have to start somewhere, right?

My attitude is improved and that is the key to success. Believing I can do this and keeping my mind right is so important. When they say that this journey is mostly mental, they aren't kidding. Having willpower to eat right and motivation to workout is not just a passive thing. It doesn't just happen. You have to find it in yourself. Good news is I know it's in there, it's just a matter of getting it going again.

So, today I ate a healthy breakfast and tracked my calories. I'm on my way again. Thanks so much for supporting me during this whole thing. I'm catching up on my reading and commenting. I'm so glad to have all of you to inspire me! Have a great Monday!

10 comments:

  1. Somehow your last post never updated in my reader! Anyway, sorry you've been feeling down. Even knowing that it's medically induced doesn't help, I know. But you sound like you are on the uptick again. I hope you continue to heal - and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do it! You've shown excellent habits in the past, so don't let the past few days weigh you down since you've been recovering. As you said, you're getting back into it one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are starting to feel better. I think we have 5 or so episodes of Burn Notice on our TIVO; somehow I'm not that interested in it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weight loss progress certainly can be diminished by things like illness, surgery, etc. You have had some challenges lately, so don't be too hard on yourself. May you be feeling well and strong very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're feeling more like yourself - this is all gonna be a distant memory, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never forget that it is the long haul the long term results that matter.

    Smart cookie getting the sleep you needed. Martyrdom is for those choosing to give out young!

    Glad you are on the mend. Strombolis will be eaten in the name of friendship and camaraderie. High five for getting back on your program.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're getting back to normal. I'm a firm believer that the keys are getting your head right and tracking every morsel. And of course, exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It takes soooo much time to get back on track...
    We are used to control and effort...
    this is one we just have to sit back and let the healing take it's course!
    Onward we go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see that things are going better for you. Over the hump now with the promise of spring on the horizon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news that things are looking up again! Wishing you well as you move forward and hoping you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!