Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sleestak? That's me.

Hello everyone. Here it is Monday. Sorry I've not blogged in days. I've had a lot going on. First, let me report that I went to my ENT and it's official that I once again need surgery. I'll need to have the blockage in my upper airway ballooned and lasered. Although he wants to wait another month or two. You see if we do it too early, then the procedure isn't as effective. So now I have to figure out when to do it. Likely end of August or so.


The other bad news is that he put me back on steroids to reduce the swelling and help my breathing. Boo. Hiss. I've been on them about a week and I'm up 5 pounds. I hate that crap. Some of that weight is from the drug, some from some bad choices. That medicine makes you INSANE and hungry. Absolutely nutso. I was in bed all day yesterday. NOW I think I'm getting a sinus infection. Yippee.

I had the scope last week, up the nose and down the back of my throat. Infections happen sometimes after. I hate that test. They spray this nasty numbing spray up your nose and down your throat. That crap burns and tastes disgusting. Then you feel like you can't swallow for like an hour afterward. And even with the spray the scope burns when they put it in. Yucky-poo.  Well, all in all there are much worse things in life. I'll not complain TOO much. Maybe just a little.

I'm frustrated because I was really hoping he'd tell me it wasn't back. I'm also frustrated because I've gained weight. AND now I'm sick. Ugh. I was supposed to meet with my trainer today, but my Sleestak like breathing prohibits it.
The weekend was very non-productive for me.  On Saturday I felt tired, but OK. I took the kids to TKD for open gym and we worked together on forms and a few kicks. Then we hit the grocery store and home. We spent some time outside Saturday evening and in the pool and I think that's what pushed me over the edge. I didn't sleep well Saturday, up a lot with cough and such.  One of the things that happens with this blockage is that my sleep goes to shit. Kinda hard to sleep when you can't breathe. Then I woke up yesterday and felt like crap. So I pretty much did nothing all day yesterday.

Now I'm at work and counting down to when I can go home and lie down for a bit. I hate that. Hate it. And I haven't been tracking my food. But,  I am going to do my best to get back on track, steroids or no. I ate a sensible breakfast and drank my water this morning. I'm back to tracking and  forcing myself to avoid any more bad choices. It's hard with these meds because I am hungry all the time and crave carbs 10 times worse than usual. Stupid medicine.

So just a quick and grumpy and wheezy post today from me. I'll be catching up on everyone's blogs and trying to comment. Hope all's well with all of you. One day at a time, right? Oh, and check out my friend Kim's blog, she's new. Welcome her and lend her some support.

13 comments:

  1. I feel ya on the steroids. I managed not to gain any weight for 7 months, but couldn't lose any either. (The previous 8 months I did actually lose.)

    I relied a lot on raw celery. Ate entire bunches of it in one sitting (with dip). Or I upped the fat to try to improve satiety.

    Good luck!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer. I thought of you this weekend. I was at my newphews' TKD testing. Thinking... "no way could I do this" and then thinking how amazing you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are having mutant alien breathing issues.

    I have the same breathing crap when I'm cooking buns in my oven, can't breathe for the whole 9 months, (get lots of rest my ass!)

    Luckily with both girls it seemed like the clog busted the day after they made their appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're having a rough time now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no doctor, but I think I read somewhere that breathing is important for longevity. :)

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that you are having such a tough time physically. I have had to take meds in the past that caused the munchies and carb cravings, I know what you mean, it is horrible! I hope that you are feeling better soon. Oh, and I did stop by and welcome Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear that you need surgery again!! But you'll get through it just like you did last time. Don't let this derail you or kill your determination!
    Christine
    www.phoenixrevolution.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, I'm sorry about the steroids and the general crumminess feeling - that is worth complaining about! You'll probably feel like a new woman after the surgery, what with being able to breathe AND sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. None of what you have experienced sounds great, but definitely necessary. And surgery again?? Will you ever outgrow it??? I feel for ya... Remember Gilda Radner?? It's always something. Keep your chin up doc!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I get put on steroids every once in a while to deal with some arthritis issues. It's effective but it does foster weight gain, among other side effects. Still, you're not flush with choices and I know you'll get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear Dr. F. Remember all the great progress you have made and how much better off you are for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Land of the Lost!!!! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless your sweet heart!
    Those steroids.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!