Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Calling all menu planners....

Well, yesterday wrapped up nicely. I worked out in the am, 7 miles on the stationery bike. Then did my core training with hand weights for upper body and ab work on the ball thingy(why can I not remember the official name for that thing?) I was super sweaty when I got done.

I had my nifty oat muffins for breakfast with yogurt and a fresh peach. I love these muffins. I happened upon them on the top of the Dannon Light and Fit yogurt and they are so tasty. We changed the recipe to wheat flour and splenda brown sugar. Sometimes we use the raisins, sometimes blueberries, craisins, walnuts, banana. We also cut the oil down when we're using fruit that is moist. Here's the recipe. For lunch, I had yogurt, and a new family favorite, BLACK VELVET APRICOT. We picked them up at Sam's and the kids burned through almost the entire pack in one day! I also had another muffin and a small banana. I generally eat a pretty light lunch, esp when it's so dang hot.

Since we got back from vacation last week, my cooking and eating at home has been all disrupted. Last night when the inevitable and deeply hated question, "What's for dinner?" arrived, I had nothing planned. So, it was off to Wendy's. I hate that. I really, really hate the thought of fast food. For me or my family. But, that's what we did. I had a baked potato with the Parkay spray and light sour cream and a small chili. It was 460 calories and I was super full afterward. It actually tasted pretty good.

But........

It was fast food. Bummer. AND, that meant my kids didn't eat great. AND, there's that whole weirdo CARB thing that goes on in my head. Potatoes are good for you, have vitamins and are low calories. Why do I get a guilty feeling when I eat one? AS IF eating too many baked potatoes is what made me fat. I used to have the same sinking feeling at first when I ate carrots or corn. WHAT? You say. Oh yes. I guess it's the Anti-CARB programming I've undergone over time. Like if I ate a full cup of corn I was doing something bad. Puh-leease!

Then one day I realized that I have to deprogram my whole GOOD FOOD/BAD FOOD thinking. It is not working for me. Before I started on this way of life (I refuse to call it diet or program. Still searching for the right term), I hadn't eaten white potatoes in forever except when I was cheating and eating french fries. But, I realized I really like potatoes. I crave them occasionally. There is nothing wrong with a having a baked potato.

Anyway, I am wondering how all of you handle planning meals for the week. Do you plan in advance? Do you cook in advance? I did that cooking for a month thing a couple of times and it is exhausting.It literally took me from Friday night until Sunday night. Then you still have to remember to get it out of the freezer and warm it up.

Between kids and work and kids activities, and laundry, and housework, and yard work, and the gym and...oh yeah, sleep occasionally, my life is hectic, but I sure would like to come up with some way to organize my cooking. I love to cook, but I don't get home until 6 most days and by then I'm starving, kids are starving, husband is starving. A whole house full of starving people = one irritated Mommy. I'd love any tips or ideas you all might have.

On another note, I would like to thank my 6 (COUNT THEM!!) SIX awesome followers who I appreciate greatly and all the people who have been commenting on my blog. I feel like I've learned so much from all of you. And,frankly it feels so good to know someone who knows EXACTLY what you mean when you say, "I have to weigh today." or "Oh God, He bought Ice cream!" I'm still figuring out this blog thing. I sometimes wonder where is the balance between writing pertinent things, sharing about myself and just rambling on and on..... Like now. Sorry.

3 comments:

  1. I think you have found a good blog voice. I enjoy your writing and am interested in your ideas.
    I've been right there with the dinner thing. When I was teaching I wouldn't get home until 6:30 or 7 some nights and, bang, I had to have dinner ready. I think I've got it figured out now. Here's what I do for dinners: I decide on the main dish (protein) when I do my weekly shopping. Usually this involves 3 fish meals (shrimp or scallops, salmon and cod fish). I buy the individually packed flash frozen pieces. I put the # of pieces I need in a bowl in the fridge before I leave the house in the morning and they're set to go into the oven . I do the shrimp or scallops on the grill outside and defrost them the same way. Even if you forget to thaw the fish pieces, you can bake them for 20-25 minutes instead of 10-12 minutes. I brush them with a bit of olive oil and dust them with paprika and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Days when I think I'll have more time (when I don't watch my grandbabies until 6) I might cook a stir fry. (When I buy flank steak, I cut it lengthwise in two narrow pieces. I freeze these flat in my freezer and it's easy to cut partially thawed thin slices across the grain for stir fry. If I'm feeling pressed for time, I'll pick up some pre-cut fresh veggies at WholeFoods for the stir-fry, but it doesn't take long to cut a red pepper, some onion, and mushrooms or whatever you fancy. I use storebought stir-fry sauce @ 40 calories/Tbsp, diluted with chicken broth to make more sauce. I like brown rice and start this first thing, but will settle for Success quick brown rice in a pinch. I also believe in cooking double rice and freezing half in a baggie. Quick to defrost and better than quick rice. Whole Wheat couscous is another quick go-to pasta. I do still enjoy potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn (on the cob is my favorite). I probably have two or three of these each week. But I limit my pasta, potatoes, rice & corn to dinner time and watch my portions. Other quick dinners include salads (fancy green with beef, chicken, or shrimp), pasta salads (with roast chicken, black olives, artichoke hearts, chopped celery, chopped red peppers, etc). I like the idea of quick omelettes, too. My family is easy to feed, though. My fellas are great and enjoy whatever I fix. Sorry for the book, but your post struck a responsive chord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I think your posts are just fine!

    I make out a menu for the week most of the time. I plan 5 evening meals and left overs for the other two nights. I save money and time, have less waste and find it is easier to stay on plan.

    I love all the ideas Tish shared!

    I post a lot of recipes on my blog.I hope you will stop by and take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back when my kids were living at home, I used to have some pretty standard go-to meals, like spaghetti or Manwiches or even scrambled eggs that were pretty quick and easy to make. Didn't include a whole lot of veggies with them, though. It IS hard and it DOES take a lot of work to feed a family after a long day at work. I feel for you - and don't hate me because I don't have to do this anymore, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!