Disclaimer

This blog is an accounting of my personal journey to find fitness. All the content on this blog should be read as a biographical piece of literature, not a medical resource. I am a physician, but I am in no way giving medical advice or establishing doctor patient relationships with my readers. I am simply keeping a diary. If you are starting a diet or exercise program or require medical evaluation or advice, please see your own family physician.

Friday, November 18, 2011

It's not the turkey.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on my last post. Sometimes just letting those feelings out is all you need to feel better. Right after I published that post I felt so much better. I woke up the next day and actually felt like facing my day and was in a good mood. I feel much, much better. Not perfect, but better.

It helped that this week I've gone to TKD class. I just feel better when I move. Wednesday we had a special self-defense class for women only. It was a lot of fun because we're practiced some "real world" scenarios. Outside, in the dark carrying groceries or purse. Attacker with a weapon, that kind of thing. Good info to have to apply what I'm learning in the traditional classes.

Tuesday night I went to a medical staff meeting (boring). We had the best filet (yummy), steamed green beans (tasty) and mashed potatoes with bacon (ok, I had one bite).  There was also a salad with a light citrus vinaigrette and it was yummy as well.

Monday I took my car in and had to get 2 new tires. Yesterday, I had to get it aligned, oil changed, inspection and the timing belt replaced. $1000 later........sigh.....

My husband left yesterday for Michigan. Somehow it seems unfair, but he's going to the Michigan v Nebraska game with some buddies. I'll be picking him up in Houston this weekend on our way to Galveston to catch the cruise ship. Last night I was home with just me and the kids. Is it bad that I enjoy it when my husband is gone sometimes and I get to have quiet alone time after the kids are in bed?

Yesterday I attended my youngest's  Thanksgiving program and dinner. Well....I wouldn't call it dinner. Lunch is at 10:15 am. Turkey and dressing at 10:15? Whatever. Then of course I stayed for my 2nd graders lunch at 11am. Of course I didn't eat again.  I took off for the morning for this. They were very excited. The kindergarten program included the kids dressing as Indians and pilgrims and singing songs. We made her costume out of felt that she colored on with fabric crayons and markers. It's not perfect, but so cute since she and I made it ourselves.  They were all so cute singing their songs and dancing. (sniff sniff)

Tonight my Aunt and cousins arrive from Oklahoma. I still have a lot to do to get ready for our trip. I haven't packed yet. Luckily I'm pretty quick at packing since we do it so much. I have to get to the bank. I have to pick up prescriptions. Getting ready for vacation is hard work, but it's all worth it.

I'm attending TKD again tonight.  I've been 4 days this week. Trying to get ready for my test since I'll miss a couple of classes next week. Last night we were "pre-testing". I'm happy to say I know all the material. I got thrown last night, landed on my side and now my hip is bruised. ouchy.  I don't mind. It will be fine. Not the first time I've gotten hurt. My right foot is still bruised from the kid that landed on top of it on his knee last week. That's the price of being a martial artist. I'm willing to pay it. Tomorrow we plan an hour of practice. So I'll have exercised 6 out of 7 days this week.

Haven't been eating great, but not terrible. I'm not sure what the scale is doing. I decided to stop weighing for a bit. I do know I wore some black pants, size 12 from last fall and they fit way better than last year. I'm going to be working out on the cruise. I hope to have time to go get some new running shoes. I really need them. I love the idea of jogging around a track at the top of a giant cruise ship. Definitely gonna give that a try.

I probably will not be able to post next week, but I'll definitely check in when I get back and let you know all about it.  Tuesday my baby boy turns 14. FOURTEEN. Can. Not. Believe it. Found out he's been texting a girl from school late at night. We had a discussion about that. Sigh.......here it comes. My baby girl turns 6 on the 30th. Boy am I getting old. Good news is older AND better.

Again thank you all for your support. Spend sometime reflecting this week on the good things in your life. Tell the people you love how much they mean to you. You never know when they might be gone. Don't wait to say it. You might not get another chance.  Appreciate your friends. Appreciate all the things that really matter in life.  It's not the turkey. It's not the pumpkin pie. None of that matters. What matters are the people you love and that love you. The people who make your life better, rich and full. Never, ever forget that.

Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. Have a grand time on the cruise! Even though your trip is all about family, see if you can spend some time alone (if possible) exercising or enjoying the spa.

    I always take a "trip journal" to scribble down thoughts and feelings. Writing comes easier while traveling for some reason.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "baby" turns 19 on Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're doing better. :)

    Oh fun, dealing with a teenager and dating...now THAT will keep you on your toes!!!

    Hope the cruise is wonderful - wave to me as you drive by the College Station exit. And one of these day's we'll have to connect in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you too and have a wonderful time on your cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm continuously inspired by your TKD! I'm so tempted to try some sort of martial art ... just haven't picked up the courage yet.

    Happy Thanksgiving!! Have an amazing time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy thanksgiving.
    and THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my kids were young and growing, I too, liked it when I had some alone time without hubby. I love him (and still do!) but that was my only time (when the kids were in bed). So, it is a GOOD thing and time for your to regenerate.

    Now, you are a young whipper-snapper: one of my darling grandaughters turned SEVEN yesterday!!

    Rest. Relax. Recreate. Renew.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Progress to TouchDown and GOALLLL!!